Compatibility with Bootmgr
Nguy?n T?
2018-07-06 08:44:15 UTC
Hi,

Some users have reported that they have problems booting WinPE from Grub2. Specifically, you will not see anything other than the current background image. In the most recent case, the screen shows ripples when booting Windows VHD on PCs using MSI H81M-P33 motherboards. This problem does not occur if WinPE and Windows VHD are booted from Grub4dos.

https://imgur.com/a/78D2QHx

Hope to have a patch, please.

<https://imgur.com/a/78D2QHx>
Daniel Kiper
2018-07-06 17:30:46 UTC
On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 08:44:15AM +0000, Nguy?n T? wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some users have reported that they have problems booting WinPE from
> Grub2. Specifically, you will not see anything other than the current
> background image. In the most recent case, the screen shows ripples
> when booting Windows VHD on PCs using MSI H81M-P33 motherboards. This
> problem does not occur if WinPE and Windows VHD are booted from
> Grub4dos.

We need more info to help. GRUB2 config file, system config (legacy
BIOS or UEFI), etc. In general more info then better.

Daniel
Nguyễn Tứ
2018-07-10 01:03:59 UTC
Sorry for the late.
The information is in the attachment.

Boot mode: Legacy.
________________________________
Từ: Daniel Kiper <***@net-space.pl>
Đã gửi: 07 Tháng Bảy 2018 12:30:46 SA
Đến: ***@outlook.com
Cc: grub-***@gnu.org
Chủ đề: Re: Compatibility with Bootmgr

Daniel
Nguyễn Tứ
2018-07-10 01:09:23 UTC
Sorry,

Grub2 configfile:

ntldr /bootmgr

Boot mode: Legacy.

Từ: Grub-devel <grub-devel-bounces+nguyentu.me=***@gnu.org> thay mặt cho Nguyễn Tứ <***@outlook.com>
Đã gửi: 10 Tháng Bảy 2018 8:03:59 SA
Đến: Daniel Kiper
Cc: grub-***@gnu.org
Chủ đề: V/v: Compatibility with Bootmgr

Từ: Daniel Kiper <***@net-space.pl>
Đã gửi: 07 Tháng Bảy 2018 12:30:46 SA
Đến: ***@outlook.com
Cc: grub-***@gnu.org

Daniel
Daniel Kiper
2018-07-10 10:06:58 UTC
On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 01:09:23AM +0000, Nguy???n T??? wrote:
> Sorry,
>
> Grub2 configfile:
>
> ntldr /bootmgr

What kind of Windows do you use? Which GRUB2 version do you use?
Could you try the latest one from the git tree?

Daniel
Nguyễn Tứ
2018-07-11 07:12:02 UTC
I tried the latest from the Git repository and now it works.
But i can only compile for i386-pc.
This error is given when compiling x86_64-efi:

grub_reboot in reboot is duplicated in kernel

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53517
________________________________
Từ: Grub-devel <grub-devel-bounces+nguyentu.me=***@gnu.org> thay mặt cho Daniel Kiper <***@net-space.pl>
Đã gửi: 10 Tháng Bảy 2018 5:06:58 CH
Đến: Nguy???n T???
Cc: The development of GNU GRUB; Daniel Kiper
Chủ đề: Re: V/v: Compatibility with Bootmgr

Nguyễn Tứ
2018-07-11 12:04:27 UTC
Oh I'm sorry, this is i386-efi, not x86_64-efi. I have applied your patch and now it works. Thanks

________________________________
Từ: Grub-devel <grub-devel-bounces+nguyentu.me=***@gnu.org> thay mặt cho Nguyễn Tứ <***@outlook.com>
Đã gửi: 11 Tháng Bảy 2018 2:12 CH
Đến: The development of GNU GRUB
Chủ đề: V/v: V/v: Compatibility with Bootmgr

Từ: Grub-devel <grub-devel-bounces+nguyentu.me=***@gnu.org> thay mặt cho Daniel Kiper <***@net-space.pl>
Đã gửi: 10 Tháng Bảy 2018 5:06:58 CH
Đến: Nguy???n T???
Cc: The development of GNU GRUB; Daniel Kiper

Nguyễn Tứ
2018-07-16 12:48:45 UTC
- My users use Windows 10 VHD.
When using the "ntldr /path/to/bootmgr" command, nothing on the screen except the current background image.
https://imgur.com/a/xErXNls

- Last version Grub 2.02.
- I tried the latest version from the GIT tree, this version works for one of the machines, not all.

Từ: Daniel Kiper <***@net-space.pl>
Đã gửi: 10 Tháng Bảy 2018 5:06:58 CH
Đến: Nguy???n T???
Cc: Daniel Kiper; The development of GNU GRUB